Forgotten Chicken

This recipe gets its name because supposedly the amount of time it spends in the oven is really flexible, so if you "forget" about it, it's no big deal.  I decided to try this one out on a really busy day because not only is it super easy, I also wanted the cooking time flexibility.  Here's the recipe:

Forgotten Chicken

The ingredients:
Boneless skinless chicken breasts, minute rice, 1 pkg. onion soup mix, can of cream of chicken soup, can of cream of celery soup, water.

Mix together "cream of" soups, 1 can of water, and 2 cups of minute rice (uncooked.)  Pour into a buttered casserole dish.

Lay chicken breasts on top of rice mixture and sprinkle onion soup mix on top. Cover with tin foil.
(My dad hates onions so a lot of the time my mom would just mix the onion soup in with the rice.  I guess out of sight, out of mind?  Either way works.)

Here is where the name Forgotten Chicken comes in.  Once you have it in the casserole dish you can put it in the oven and forget it!  My mom would always put it in on a low temp. (around 250-275) before we left for church and when we got home three hours later it would be ready.  Or you can cook it at 350-375 (depending on your oven) for one to one and a half hours.   It is hard to mess up so if you forget it is in there don't worry, it is probably still okay!

The rice on the outside edges should be slightly browned and crispy and the rice on the inside soft and moist.  Serve with a side salad and a nice big slice of bread and you have yourself one tasty meal.  It's my favorite!  (in case I haven't mentioned that enough times in this post.)


I definitely liked how easy this was to make, and I liked the flavor.  (I love dry onion soup mix).  I also liked that the rice gave me a super easy and quick side dish.  My only complaint is that my chicken was a little overcooked and as a result, it was kind of dry!  Ugh!  This recipe's claim to fame is that if you forget about it and accidentally cook it too long, it's not a big deal.... but that's kind of a lie.  Haha.  Whatever - next time I'll just take it out of the oven a little sooner.


Forgotten Chicken Forgotten Chicken Reviewed by Carly on 5:28:00 PM Rating: 5

4 comments

  1. Have you tried browning your chicken before putting it in the oven? It helps keep it moist most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't ever even heard of that - I will definitely try it! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. How long did you leave it in there? What temperature? This looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left mine in for about 3.5 hrs, but my chicken breasts were abnormally thin, so I think that's why my chicken overcooked. Next time I'll use normal chicken breasts and I think it'll turn out much better.

      Delete