Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps

I am not really a fan of vegetarian dinners.  Of course there are some good ones out there, but they definitely aren't in my top 10 favorites.  :-)  However, I really try to keep an open mind when it comes to new recipes, so when I found this recipe, which the Pioneer Woman was raving about, I figured that this would be a good experiment.  Not only is it vegetarian, it involves tofu!  Talk about going outside my comfort zone.  Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 2 teaspoons Peanut Or Olive Oil
  • 1 package (about 12-14 Oz. Size) Firm Tofu
  • 2 ears Corn (or 1 1/2 Cups Frozen Corn Kernels)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder (more To Taste)
  • 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
  • Romaine Lettuce Hearts
  • 2 whole Avocados, Sliced
  • 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar (optional)

Preparation Instructions

Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Throw in the tofu, then break it up into very small pieces. Cook tofu for several minutes, until much of the liquid cooks off and tofu starts to turn golden.
Cut kernels off the cobs of corn and throw it in with the tofu. Cook for a few minutes (corn can remain crunchy.)
Add chili powder and soy sauce, then cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Turn off heat and stir in balsamic if using.
Pile mixture into romaine hearts, then add sliced of avocado. Fold up and chow down!


So the reason I wasn't a huge fan of this recipe isn't because the tofu was gross, which is what I was most afraid of.  The tofu certainly wasn't amazingly delicious, but it was fine.  The way it was cooked and covered in soy sauce (I used low sodium soy sauce, by the way) made it taste okay.  For me, the problem with this meal was that it just didn't have enough ingredients.  Even with the avocado, I wanted more.  Chopped tomatoes, maybe some beans??  That would've added a lot I think.  When I make this again, I'll add more to it.  Oh, and I might try it with ground turkey instead of tofu.... I know that that makes it no longer vegetarian, but I think it would be delicious.  And hey, we're certainly not vegetarians in this house.  If this recipe is better with the tomatoes and beans, I'll probably switch off making it with ground turkey and tofu.

Oh, and for the record, my husband didn't hate it.  He was horrified when I told him we were eating a vegetarian dinner with tofu, but he ate it just fine.  It wasn't his favorite meal either, but I don't think he'll have a problem with me making it every now and then.

*** Update!  I tried this again a couple weeks later, this time adding cayenne pepper for more flavor, and also with black beans, chopped tomatoes, and onions.  Much better!  Lots and lots more variety and flavor, and I loved the spice of the cayenne pepper!  I even used tofu again, and it was delicious.


Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps Reviewed by Carly on 8:19:00 PM Rating: 5

No comments