Oatmeal Cookies

Oatmeal cookies don't get much love. Even I, a major cookie lover, used to turn down oatmeal cookies all the time. I think one of the main reasons why people don't seem to love oatmeal cookies is because they so often have raisins in them. Blech! Come on people- very few people like raisins in anything other than Raisin Bran. Anyway, I was blog stalking a friend of a friend and stumbled upon this recipe. For some reason, oatmeal cookies sounded good to me at the time, so I made them. Here's the recipe:

3/4 c. shortening
1 1/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. milk

Beat until creamed then add:

3 cups quick oats
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Mix at low speed just until blended. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls unto cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

Feel free to add:

butterscotch chips
mini peanut butter cups
white chocolate chips with macadamia nuts
raisins
m&m's
white chocolate and dried cranberry
chocolate, mini marshmallows, and chopped almonds

I didn't add any of the 'extras,' I just doubled (almost tripled) the amount of cinnamon I put in. And man oh man, they were so delicious! I even pretended like I was being healthy since oatmeal is good for you. Oh, and I used softened butter instead of shortening. I pretty much never use shortening.

I cooked mine for only 8-9 minutes and they were totally ready, so be careful not to overcook! And eat them warm- oatmeal cookies are the best when they're warm. (But I guess most cookies are like that....)


Oatmeal Cookies Oatmeal Cookies Reviewed by Carly on 10:10:00 PM Rating: 5

4 comments

  1. did you not use chocolate chips? those sound good...if i wasn't totally BAKED OUT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have chocolate chips, but those DO sound good.

      Delete
  2. So I made these tonight and they were awesome! I used soy milk instead of regular milk, I didn't add cinnamon, and I used 1/2 cup shortening and 1/4 cup butter (shortening makes cookies fluffier and not as crispy, but butter has a rockin flavor so I needed some of that too :) and I added chocolate chips. I fed them to the elders and they begged to take some home :) Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna! I'm so glad they turned out so awesome! I actually didn't know that about shortening, so I might have to try it with that. And chocolate chips= always a good thing. :)

      Delete