Tuna Fajitas (or tacos)

Okay, the proper name for this is actually Soft Taco Filling: Tuna in Jalapeno Escabeche.  Kinda wordy though, so I just shorten it to tuna fajitas.  :)  I got this recipe from a family recipe book, but it can also be found here.

I am normally not a tuna fan.  I liked it as a kid, but for most of my teen and young adult life, tuna made me queasy.  I'm still not normally a huge tuna fan, but I actually really like this recipe.  Awesome, because now I have a way to get tuna in my diet.  Here it is:

Soft Taco Filling: Tuna in Jalapeño Escabeche

Atun en Escabeche de Chile Jalapeño
Makes 3 scant cups, enough for 12 tacos
Recipe from Season 6 of Mexico - One Plate at a Time

INGREDIENTS

1  12-ounce can pickled jalapeños
2 tablespoons good-quality olive oil
1 large white onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
2  6-ounce cans tuna (tuna packed in oil works best here)
1/4 cup roughly chopped flatleaf parsley (or a mixture of fresh herbs)

DIRECTIONS

Remove the jalapeños and vegetables (typically carrots and onions) that have been packed with them; reserve the liquid.  Cut the stems off 2 to 3 of the jalapeños, cut them in half and scrape the seeds out; discard stems and seeds.  Thinly slice the chiles (you need about 1/4 cup).  Thinly slice some of the vegetables (you need about 1/4 cup of these also).
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium.  When hot, add the onion and cook until richly golden, about 10 minutes.  Remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 cup of the jalapeños pickling juice.  Let cool.  Stir the onions into the tuna, along with the sliced jalapeños and vegetables and the parsley or herbs. Set out for your guests to roll into warm tortillas to make soft tacos.


Since you're using tuna in oil, be careful not to dump in all the oil from the can or else the whole dish will be much too oily, and you don't want drippy fajitas.  Gross!  This dish is SPICY (if you want less spice, don't add any of the pickling juice and go easy on the peppers) and not very fish-y tasting, which I love.  It's easy, quick, and in my opinion, the best way to eat tuna.

*If you hate tuna, skip out on trying this recipe.  However, if you are "whatever" about it or like it, definitely give it a try!


Tuna Fajitas (or tacos) Tuna Fajitas (or tacos) Reviewed by Carly on 10:35:00 AM Rating: 5

2 comments

  1. FYI - it's even more yummy with canned salmon (though more pricey too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I've never even seen canned salmon! (I also haven't been looking). Sounds yummy.

      Delete