Christmas Breakfast (Cinnamon French Toast Bake from Pillsbury)

I got this recipe from this blog.  She calls it "Christmas Breakfast" because it is perfect for Christmas morning or special occasions.  (Or in my opinion-anytime- whether it's special occasion or not).  :-)  I love breakfasts like this.  (One of my favorite recipes similar to this one is a breakfast danish.  I need to post that one too).  Anyway, here's the recipe:

Ingredients

1/4 cup melted butter
2 cans (12.4 oz each) Pillsbury® refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing
5 eggs
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup maple syrup

Garnish

Icing from cinnamon rolls
Powdered sugar
Maple syrup, if desired

 Okay, So first melt the butter and pour it on an ungreased 13×9 inch glass dish. 

Then separate the cans of dough into 16 rolls. Put the icing off to the side because you will use that later. Cut each roll into 8 pieces and add to buttered baking dish.


In a separate bowl beat the eggs. Then add the cream, cinnamon and vanilla and beat all until well blended. Pour over cut pieces of cinnamon roll pieces.


Next sprinkle with pecans (I only put pecans over half of it because I don't really like them on there but my husband does). Then drizzle 3/4 cup syrup over the top. 

Bake at 375 for 20 to 28 minutes or until golden brown.


 While it is cooling remove the covers from icing and microwave on medium  or 50% power for 10 to 15 seconds. (Should be thin enough to drizzle.) Then drizzle icing over the top and sprinkle with powdered sugar. 

I also like to serve it with syrup!


I seriously loved this recipe!  SO delicious!  And so easy!  I have made the ready-to-bake cinnamon rolls simply because it's so much easier and quicker than making your own, and they are kind of blah, so this is a way to make a super delicious cinnamon-roll-type breakfast without all the hard work.  I HIGHLY recommend it.  BUT!!!- and this is a big but - I have another big recommendation for this recipe.  You're supposed to drizzle 3/4 cup of syrup over the top before you bake it, but I noticed that this made the bottom kind of soggy.  It wasn't gross, but I'm not ever a fan of soggy food.  I would recommend just drizzling a tiny bit of syrup (maybe 1/4 of a cup) over the top before you bake it, and then everyone can just add as much syrup as they want right before they eat it.  

I also left off the pecans, but if you're a pecan fan, I'm sure they'd be good on it as well.


Christmas Breakfast (Cinnamon French Toast Bake from Pillsbury) Christmas Breakfast (Cinnamon French Toast Bake from Pillsbury) Reviewed by Carly on 10:37:00 AM Rating: 5

1 comment