Slow Cooker Kalua Pork

I absolutely love kalua pork.  It's also one of my husband's all-time favorite dishes.  If you don't mind something super flavorful and kinda salty, definitely try this recipe:



Ingredients

1 (6 pound) pork butt roast

1 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt

1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring

Directions

Pierce pork all over with a carving fork. Rub salt then liquid smoke over meat. Place roast in a slow cooker.
Cover, and cook on Low for 16 to 20 hours, turning once during cooking time.
Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred, adding drippings as needed to moisten.


Just FYI, I use way more than 1 1/2 tablespoons of kosher salt.  I probably use like 5x that amount.  I cut slits in the pork and pour the kosher salt in there.  Then I pour about another 5 tablespoons (or even a little more) of the liquid smoke all over the meat.  Don't be afraid of using way more kosher salt and liquid smoke than the recipe calls for.  (especially the liquid smoke!)  I'm actually surprised the recipe calls for so little. 

I also don't cook it for 16 to 20 hours.  I put it in by 9 a.m. and it's ready by dinner.  (But you may need to put it on "High" for a few hours). 

This meat is super delicious!  It's very flavorful and makes a ton.  On this particular night I served it over rice, but I actually like it over shredded cabbage the best.  Cabbage helps offset the saltiness.  


Slow Cooker Kalua Pork Slow Cooker Kalua Pork Reviewed by Carly on 10:04:00 AM Rating: 5

No comments