BBQ Chicken Salad

I actually really like salads, but as I've mentioned before, it's hard to get my husband to eat them unless they're really, really hearty.  So, I was browsing online for a new salad recipe and found this one.  I definitely didn't follow it exactly, but it was my inspiration for this meal.

Ingredients

  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 head red leaf lettuce, rinsed and torn
  • 1 head green leaf lettuce, rinsed and torn
  • 1 fresh tomato, chopped
  • 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
  • 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
  • 1 (2.8 ounce) can French fried onions
  • 1/2 cup Ranch dressing
  • 1/2 cup barbeque sauce

Directions

  1. Preheat the grill for high heat.
  2. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place chicken on the grill, and cook 6 minutes per side, or until juices run clear. Remove from heat, cool, and slice.
  3. In a large bowl, mix the red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, tomato, cilantro, corn, and black beans. Top with the grilled chicken slices and French fried onions.
  4. In a small bowl, mix the Ranch dressing and barbeque sauce. Serve on the side as a dipping sauce, or toss with the salad to coat.



Basically, I just cooked a few boneless, skinless chicken breasts in BBQ sauce and put it on top of romaine lettuce along with chopped tomatoes, black beans, olives, and rice.  Some cheese would have been good too, but I left it off this time.  I also used a little bit of Ranch dressing.  The recipe calls for corn, but I thought that sounded gross.  It also calls for french fried onions, which sounds like it could be good, but I didn't have any.

This meal was good!  Not the best salad ever, (I like the Cafe Rio pork salad better, although that one is much more time consuming) but still really good.  It's a good way to mix up your usual salads, and it's definitely man-friendly.


BBQ Chicken Salad BBQ Chicken Salad Reviewed by Carly on 8:58:00 PM Rating: 5

1 comment

  1. use corn!! sooooo good! and cilantro dressing - mmmm. :)

    ReplyDelete