Crock Pot Orange Chicken

So most of the recipes I try are in the 'okay' to 'very good' range. A few are like, "Wow, SOOOO delicious!" and then a few more are in the gross range. This was the first recipe since I started this blog that was in the gross range. I thought about leaving it off of the blog completely, but I really want to try to tweak it or find a way to make it less gross, because I love orange chicken most of the time! Anyway, here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients:
• 3-4 boneless chicken breasts, chopped into small chunks
• 1/3 cup flour
• olive oil
• 1/2 T salt
• 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
• 3 T ketchup
• 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate (thaw or throw it in the microwave for 45 seconds)
• 4 T brown sugar

In a bowl, mix the orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and ketchup.

Pour the flour in a small bowl.

Cover the chicken breast chunks in flour and shake off the excess.

Pour a small amount of olive oil in a skillet and brown the flour-covered chicken.

The chicken doesn't need to be fully cooked since it's going in the crock pot.

After the chicken is done cooking, pour the pieces into the crock pot.
Then cover the chicken with your sauce mixture and give the pot a stir.

Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3.

Serve over rice and even add veggies if you want a healthier meal.
Enjoy!

So as soon as I took I bite of this, I hated it. It was SOOOO orange-y, and not in a good way. It tasted like I was biting into an orange peel. My husband tried to be nice, but I could tell he hated it too. We didn't even finish it - my poor husband had to do a Taco Bell run. (oh wait, he loves Taco Bell, so nevermind about the poor husband thing) :-) I read the reviews after (I probably should have done this BEFORE I cooked it) and a few of the reviewers said the same thing. I know that it's called orange chicken, but I think I prefer my orange chicken to be a lot less citrus-y, and a lot more..... well, delicious. Like Panda's, or The Cheesecake Factory's. I need to look for another recipe.... maybe there's a copycat of Panda's or Cheesecake Factory's somewhere? Not ready to give up on making my own orange chicken..... but most definitely ready to give up on this recipe!

Crock Pot Orange Chicken Crock Pot Orange Chicken Reviewed by Carly on 3:47:00 PM Rating: 5

No comments