Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches

I had never had a homemade Hawaiian Chicken Sandwich until I tried this recipe. I have had them at restaurants several times, and I always love them, so I couldn't wait to try to make one on my own.

Ingredients

4 slices canned pineapple (save 2 tbsps. of the juice)
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced horizontally into roll-size pieces, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
Salt to taste
4 rolls, halved, toasted or grilled if desired
Lettuce leaves (optional)


Instructions


Lay the pineapple slices on paper towels, blot them dry, and set them aside.

In a small bowl, blend the reserved pineapple juice, soy sauce, honey, molasses, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and ginger.

Set a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the oil. Add the chicken breasts and salt very lightly. Fry the breasts about 4 to 5 minutes per side, turning once, until just done. Add the sauce to the pan and fry another minute or so, spooning the sauce over the chicken and turning to coat both sides.

Remove the chicken to a plate and immediately add the pineapple slices to the skillet. Cook about 30 seconds on each side to glaze the pineapple and remove the pan from the heat.

To assemble the sandwiches, place lettuce, if desired, on the bottom of each roll and top with a chicken breast and a slice of pineapple. Spoon a bit of the sauce from the pan over each pineapple slice and serve. Makes 4 sandwiches.



This recipe is very little fuss and pretty dang good. It's not restaurant quality, (duh) but I still liked it a lot. Then again, I would pretty much eat and enjoy anything with pineapple. I LOVE pineapple. My husband liked it too though - more than he thought he would.... so this recipe is a keeper.


Oh, I left off the molasses and added a touch more honey instead. It was easier than going out to buy the only ingredient I didn't already have. :-) I also omitted the ginger. Still tasted great.


Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches Reviewed by Carly on 1:26:00 PM Rating: 5

No comments