Chicken Roll-Ups

A couple weeks ago me and my husband went to a friend's house for dinner, and she cooked some amazing chicken roll-ups. When I asked her for the recipe, she basically said, "Oh, pound down the chicken breasts, dip them in butter, dip one side in bread crumbs, parsley, and garlic, and roll them up. Then cook them. That's it!!!" Well, since I am a major recipe-follower, I tried to find a recipe online that was similar to what she told me. This was the closest I could find, and I kind of used it as a guide, but I didn't marinate the chicken breasts and I really only used the ingredients my friend had told me, plus I added some salt and pepper and a tiny bit of lemon juice. Here's the recipe (the one I found online):

INGREDIENTS

1/4cup fresh lemon juice
1tablespoon olive oil
1/4teaspoon salt
1/4teaspoon black pepper
4boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
2tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
2large cloves garlic, minced

PREPARATION:

  1. Combine lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper in 11X7-inch casserole. Pound chicken to 3/8-inch thickness. Place chicken in lemon mixture; turn to coat. Cover; marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes. Soak 16 toothpicks in hot water 15 minutes.
  2. Prepare grill for direct cooking.
  3. Combine parsley, cheese, chives, lemon peel and garlic in small bowl. Discard chicken marinade. Spread 1/4 of parsley mixture over each chicken breast, leaving an inch around edges free. Starting at narrow end, roll chicken to enclose filling; secure with toothpicks.
  4. Grill chicken, covered, over medium-hot coals about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Transfer chicken to low or indirect heat. Grill, covered, about 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
  5. Remove toothpicks; slice each chicken breast into 5 or 6 pieces.


So I pounded down the chicken breasts, dipped them in melted butter, and loaded on the bread crumbs, S & P, garlic, and some parsley. Then I rolled them up, secured them with a toothpick, and cooked them for about a half an hour at 350 degrees. Did they turn out as good as my friend's? Nope. (I figured they wouldn't). Were they pretty good? Yep. My chicken was kind of dry (anyone know how to fix that??? I feel like my chicken is always dry!) and I would've preferred more flavor, but both me and my husband still enjoyed them. Maybe I could try marinating my chicken like this recipe suggests, or add more/different spices? Or seasoned bread crumbs? Maybe my friend is awesome and made homemade bread crumbs and that made the difference? Who knows..... but I'll want to try this again.

Chicken Roll-Ups Chicken Roll-Ups Reviewed by Carly on 1:49:00 PM Rating: 5

1 comment

  1. Just don't cook the chicken as long and it won't be dry. Sometimes it's hard to find that middle ground. And a chef told me once that "people don't realize how much they overcook chicken." I guess everyone is so afraid of undercooked chicken that they overcook it.

    ReplyDelete